I’ve been inspired by the Colette Wardrobe Architect series and Sewaholic’s Summer and Fall sewing plans to do a bit of planning for Fall. I always have ideas of what I want to sew floating about in my head, but it was nice to sit down and plan out a whole ‘season’ of sewing. And to put it on my wall to keep me focused. Plus, I recently went on a fabric shopping spree, so I knew I had to buckle down and make some concrete plans!!
So here is my list for Fall Sewing:
- Minoru Jacket! (confession: I’ve recently finished this, but it’s a sweltering 80 degrees in San Francisco and I can’t bear to put it on and take ‘Fall’ pictures). I’ve been wanting to make one of these for a while now. I found a stretch navy blue twill plus a red and white floral print for the lining. I know this will be a wardrobe staple. It’s the perfect style for me (sporty, yet feminine) and is the perfect weight for San Francisco almost year round (ahem, except right now).
- A Josephine (or two). Yes, I’ve already made a couple of these. But I like them! And I’d like to try out some adjustments and variations on the pattern. I have a beautiful, drapey, black rayon lawn that I think will work great with this style. I also keep coming back to that release pintuck idea (inspiration here and here), so I feel like I really need to give that a try. I bought some grey cotton lawn that will work for this (too boring?), but I’m also considering splurging on this grey and white Liberty print (just got a swatch from Mood).
- Seamwork Akita top. I was completely inspired by the fabric on this one. I saw this beautiful cotton lawn print and just had to get it. I love the colors – so perfect for fall. I knew I needed a simple pattern for this because the print is such a statement on its own; the Akita seems perfect.
- Seamwork Moji. I bought some grey suiting that I thought would look nice as Moji pants. Mostly I want to try out the pattern – not sure if it’s entirely my style, but I thought I’d give it a shot. If the fit is good, I think the pants will be a great neutral addition to my Fall wardrobe and should pair well with the Akita blouse.
- Colette Beignet skirt. I have some stretch navy blue corduroy in my stash, previously used to make a pair of comfy pants for my son, which I’ve been wanting to make into a skirt forever. The colette beignet caught my eye, mostly because of all the buttons…buttons which also scare the heck out of me! Gotta challenge myself:)
- Another skirt? Or a bag? Or a bag and a skirt?? Haven’t figured out the pattern for this one yet, but I love the fabric. I’m thinking a gathered skirt, maybe knee length, almost peasant-skirt-like…
- Bonus: Colette Sorbetto. Ok, maybe not strictly in the ‘Fall Sewing’ category, but I have some extra lining (poly charmeuse) left & thought I’d give the Sorbetto a try. I figure it will be a good layering piece under a sweater or cardigan.
So there it is. Seven seems like a lot for one season, but several of them should be pretty quick & easy, and I’ve already finished one of the hardest. Pics & post of my Minoru coming soon!
What’s on your Fall Sewing list?